Refugee Legal Help Program (RLAP) Remote Legal Assistance Senior Legal Officer – Egypt
Saint Andrew’s Refugee Companies, Cairo
Vacancy Announcement: Refugee Lawful Help Method (RLAP) Distant Lawful Support Senior Lawful Officer
Founded in 1979, StARS is a refugee service company in central Cairo that operates to boost the quality of existence for refugees and susceptible migrants through five broad method regions: instruction, psychosocial, authorized, group outreach and unaccompanied youth and young children assistance products and services. We give significant-high quality expert services assembly the unaddressed wants of refugees, and we offer a secure and inclusive area for displaced folks to arrive together as a group. We work for refugees, with refugees, to make legal rights recognition a reality.
StARS’ Mission: Driven by a motivation to justice and fairness, StARS operates as displaced men and women and for displaced persons to regard human dignity and increase high quality of everyday living.
StARS’ Vision: Displaced individuals guide in the generation and implementation of responses to different sorts of migration to set up safe, just, welcoming, and inclusive communities globally.
We serve folks from several destinations, such as Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
To master far more please check out our website: www.stars-egypt.org or our Fb site https://www.fb.com/standrewsrefugeeservices?fref=ts
Undertaking Description: Refugee Authorized Support Plan
The Refugee Authorized Help Method presents advice and illustration to refugees looking for recognition by UNHCR through refugee status dedication techniques in Egypt, assists refugees in accessing resettlement to protected third countries, and advises refugees on defense matters. Refugee Lawful Support Application is partnering with the College of Nottingham to create remote potential for lawful providers by way of education of college students acquiring their regulation diploma from the University of Nottingham.
The Senior Authorized Officer shall be liable for the supervision of provision of distant lawful help for the illustration of refugees in issues associated to refugee status perseverance, safety, and resettlement strategies. The Senior Lawful Officer will provide technological and administrative support to put into practice functions supporting the strategic plans of Refugee Authorized Help Program’s Refugee Status Dedication and Resettlement Packages.
All responsibilities are carried out beneath the supervision of the Refugee Authorized Support Software Director, Deputy Director, Refugee Standing Resolve and Resettlement Coordinators. The Senior Legal Officer is liable for evaluation of first requests for help, screening and reviewing of refugee conditions to discover these of heightened vulnerability and defense issues to accessibility refugee status determination legal representation, defense and/or resettlement referrals, preparing and reviewing of detailed created statements addressing accounts of persecution in nations of origin and state of asylum for refugee standing determination and resettlement uses, drafting and examining lawful submissions in guidance of refugee promises in all phases of the refugee status determination approach, supervising legal advisors, and taking care of various features of Application caseloads. The Senior Authorized Officer is also predicted to contribute to advocacy attempts with regards to the refugee population and to supervise and coach volunteer employees. The position has particular target on training, supervision, and review of casework undertaken by university student volunteers from The College of Nottingham Human Legal rights Regulation Centre (HRLC).
Authorized and Complex
- To develop and supervise the screening and intake of potential shoppers for information and illustration in refugee position resolve, resettlement, and security issues.
- To help in administration and oversight of Refugee Authorized Assist Program’s caseload in refugee position determination, resettlement, and protection issues, ensuring well timed provision of assistance and abide by-up on shopper cases as needed.
- To oversee the review and preparation of resettlement referrals to the UNHCR Resettlement Unit.
- Evaluate and oversee identification of defense instances and pertinent interventions.
- To provide standard legal counseling and aid to refugees relating to their programs for registration, refugee status perseverance, protection, and resettlement in advance of UNHCR.
- To get ready purchasers for registration and refugee position willpower interviews and signify shoppers in these kinds of interviews as desired.
- To draft lawful briefs and prepare witness declarations and other evidence in help of refugee position willpower appeals and reopening requests.
- To provide periodically as an on-phone legal advisor, helping customers by delivering authorized suggestions and guidance on a wander-in basis in the places of refugee position dedication, protection, and resettlement.
- To get ready and facilitate refugee position determination preparing workshops and Know Your Rights trainings for refugee communities.
- To undertake place of origin analysis in guidance of unique statements and for typical organizational investigation functions and to keep great performing knowledge of the current political and social cases in the international locations of origin of Refugee Authorized Aid Program’s consumers.
- To evaluate more-lawful customer desires and refer to other StARS groups or exterior businesses as correct.
- To retain good doing the job awareness of UNHCR’s guidelines and processes in refugee status dedication, resettlement and protection matters.
- To undertake extensive situation administration tactics which include preserving and updating digital databases and information for every shopper and preserving specific notes of all casework routines.
- To interact with refugee local community-primarily based companies in giving trainings and follow-up guidance, as nicely as taking part in open up-ground meetings and information sessions.
- To adhere to the Nairobi Code of Ethics, the StARS Procedures and Methods Manual, and the StARS Code of Conduct.
- To aid the Refugee Standing Dedication and Resettlement Coordinators in improvement and implementation of group units, policies and treatments, and coaching offers, which includes for HRLC student volunteers.
- To aid other associates of Refugee Lawful Help System and StARS applications pertaining to troubles similar to the city refugee inhabitants.
- To attend and contribute to Refugee Lawful Aid Plan meetings and other personnel conferences.
- To help the Refugee Standing Dedication and Resettlement Coordinators in conducting data and developments examination of customers approaching Refugee Lawful Help Application for authorized solutions.
- To help the Refugee Status Perseverance and Resettlement Coordinators in conducting knowledge and developments analysis of UNHCR’s Guidelines and Procedures.
- To guide the Refugee Status Perseverance and Resettlement Coordinators in creating written manuals and processes for the various solutions delivered by each Method.
- To create and manage strong relationships with refugee communities in Cairo.
- To build and preserve interactions with psychosocial and education staff members and operational companions.
- To connect with refugee communities, other provider companies, and UNHCR to aid the provision of precise details and assistance top to the achievement of refugee legal rights.
- To support the Refugee Standing Dedication and Resettlement Coordinators and other Senior Authorized Officers in conducting intensive two-to-three-week instruction durations for new team and volunteers four or 5 times for each 12 months, and to practice HRLC student volunteers.
- To support the Refugee Standing Perseverance and Resettlement Coordinators in the improvement of supervision techniques and mechanisms.
- To supervise volunteer legal advisors and authorized officers in refugee standing perseverance and resettlement legal function, together with providing assistance on controlling workload, examining published drafts, and monitoring recordkeeping.
- To evaluation written drafts and give normal comments to HRLC scholar volunteers.
- To have interaction proactively in promoting self-treatment among volunteers and other staff members.
- To guarantee significant quality lawful advice and representation and a refugee rights-dependent solution.
- To bear probation and frequent functionality appraisals.
- To converse consistently with the Refugee Authorized Assist Software Director, Deputy Director, the Refugee Standing Perseverance and Resettlement Coordinators in reporting on all main challenges and developments in the area and within just Refugee Legal Support Program.
- To help the Refugee Legal Aid Application Director, Deputy Director, the Refugee Status Resolve and Resettlement Coordinators with reporting and analysis on the HRLC remote lawful project.
- To turn into common with Refugee Lawful Support Program’s database system and properly history and adhere to up on all appropriate scenario administration.
- To present circumstance reporting knowledge to the Refugee Authorized Help Program Director and Deputy Director as asked for in order to properly report operate to senior administration, funders, and other people.
- To submit action experiences as requested.
- To endorse information and facts-sharing within Refugee Lawful Assist Software and StARS on all troubles impacting the populations we serve.
Qualifications & Expertise
The excellent prospect will be energetic, articulate, and cozy interacting with various segments of society. She or he will have shown a agency commitment to human legal rights and refugee troubles.
- English remaining the official language of UNHCR Cairo and StARS, the Senior Lawful Officer will have to be fluent in oral and penned English.
- Master’s diploma in a related field (worldwide improvement, global legislation, development scientific tests, Middle East Scientific tests) OR a capable lawyer in any jurisdiction (J.D., LLB or equivalent) OR a minimum amount of 1 year of practical experience in symbolizing refugees in the resettlement or Refugee Status Willpower procedures OR two several years of practical experience providing direct illustration to indigent people in any environment.
- Fantastic lawful investigate and drafting techniques.
- Knowledge of UNHCR registration, Refugee Position Perseverance, and resettlement suggestions and strategies.
- Know-how of the common defense situation and vulnerabilities of refugees in Egypt.
- A shown motivation to and sensitivity toward susceptible or displaced individuals.
- Skill to live and get the job done in a fluid security environment.
- Proven encounter drafting customer affidavits and legal arguments.
- Means to training audio authorized judgment, well structured, self-determined, and trustworthy.
- Shown compassion for refugees and displaced men and women.
- Shown skill to converse efficiently the two orally and in crafting.
- Shown capacity to operate in a crew as well as separately.
- A good angle and sensitive manner when working with clientele which include a assortment of interviewing expertise for dealing with difficult situations, particularly in advocating for survivors of violence, trafficking, torture, and GBV.
- Fluency in Arabic or a refugee language is an advantage but not a necessity.
- Experience planning and conducting trainings for non-technical audiences.
- Managerial expertise or familiarity with volunteer oversight.
- Life and get the job done working experience in the Center East or Egypt or with an city refugee inhabitants.
Functioning Hours: The Remote Legal Assistance Senior Legal Officer is expected to be at perform for 40 hrs per 7 days, involving the hrs of 9am and 5pm, from Sunday to Thursday. Longer several hours, evening and weekend get the job done are often necessary. Get the job done will be performed equally in StARS premises and also in refugee communities and centers.
Supervised by: Director and Deputy Director of Refugee Authorized Support Software
Salary: 8,750 EGP/thirty day period, soaring to 9,700 EGP/thirty day period adhering to prosperous completion a few-month probationary period. In addition 4,020 EGP/yr Health Protection and 100 EGP/month Saving Plan Contribution on completion of probationary time period.
Added official gains as stipulated in StARS Personnel Handbook Suggestions.
This position is matter to a 3-thirty day period probationary period, at which time the employee’s functionality will be reviewed and probation might be prolonged.
Closing day for purposes: 30 September 2022
Predicted Beginning day: 1 November 2022
How to implement
To utilize: Please send out your CV and Include Letter and brief legal writing sample to [email protected] Working with the subject matter line “Remote Authorized Assistance Senior Legal Officer Application”. All apps really should supply get in touch with information of two professional/educational references (referees will only be contacted right after interviews).
***Note:***Only small-outlined candidates will be contacted for an interview.